Tether Tools Guide
Images captured using a tethered photography workflow get saved directly onto your computer’s drive in the folder of your choice. Tethering software then displays the images on the larger computer or tablet screen as they are captured so you can see them clearly.
Tethering helps you get the perfect photo in fewer shots. Viewing images on a larger screen is a great way for you and your clients to spot issues with focus, lighting, posing or composition. You’ll spend less time editing and your clients can let you know the moment you’ve captured the shot they are looking for.
Benefits of Shooting Tethered
- The Benefits of Shooting Tethered:
- View images on a large monitor as you shoot
- Instantly see images at full resolution
- Check critical focus, composition, styling, etc.
- Adjust lighting and camera settings more quickly and easily
- Control camera settings and remote trigger from connected device
- Share images with art director/client on site or remotely
- Collaborate more effectively with assistants, stylists and subjects
- Tag, rate, compare and share images while you shoot
- Share images on multiple devices
- Back up files to hard-drive while shooting
- Move images from laptop to desktop in an instant
- Reduce the chance of image loss
What You Need
1. Compatible Camera
Growing demand for tethering has led manufacturers to introduce and improve tethering functionality in many newer cameras. Even so, you should reference your camera manual to confirm that it’s capable of tethering and if so, identify which types of images it’s designed to transfer – JPEG, RAW or both. Look for the phrases Direct Image Transfer and Instant Image Transfer as well as any references to tethering.
2. Tether Tools Cable
TetherPro USB cables are constructed to the highest USB specifications and incorporate all of the latest technology ensuring consistent and reliable conductivity for fast and reliable transfers. [Find My Cable]
3. Tethering Software
From free software that may already be included with your camera to super-charged programs that incorporate all your post-production needs into one package, there are a number of software options worth exploring. [Find My Software]
Tether Tools SmartShooter 4 (Select)From: R1,295.00
4. Protect Your Port
Cable Management is a vital part of a safe and secure tethered photography workflow. Making sure your camera and computer ports stay free from damage save photographers from having to send in their camera for repairs that could have been prevented with proper cable management.
There are several types of cable management options that Tether Tools offers, each uniquely made with photographer’s in mind. A few popular cable management solutions include: TetherGuard, TetherBlock, and the Tether Arca Cable Spacer. [Protect Your Ports]
5. Basic Tethering Kit
Designed to be the basic package for photographers interested in shooting tethered. The Starter Tethering Kit from Tether Tools will help you seamlessly transition into a tethered workflow and provides the basics you need to get started.