Canon EOS R5 Update April 2020
Have you heard the latest news about the Canon EOS R5? In Canon's press release, it is said to "… shoot comfortably on high-end production sets…"
Some bold statements are made within the press release, such as the camera boasting "...features seen only in high-end cinema cameras many times its price point..." immediately followed by "... video features no other mirrorless camera on the market offers."
It seems that Canon has really jumped out of the cake at the mirrorless party, aiming at offering high quality stills to the pro photographer as well as video abilities to "partner" high-end movie production camera's (such as the newly released C300 Mark III).
These capabilities include:
- Non-cropped internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps
- Non-cropped internal 8K up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- Non-cropped internal 4K up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
- Dual Pixel AF in all video modes, all resolutions and all frame rates.
- 5-axis optical IBIS allowing the combined use of Lens IS and camera IBIS
- Dual Card Slots (One CFexpress and One SD UHS-II)
A recap of previously announced specs:
- Advanced animal AF (identifying dogs, cats and birds)
- Stills at up to 12fps (mechanical shutter) and 20fps (electronic shutter)
- Automatic image transfer to image.canon cloud platform
We'll keep a close eye on the Canon EOS R5 and let you know any other details that arise. You can stay informed by checking our blog and social media channels regularly.